vrijdag 26 april 2013

From Berlin to Delhi



New Delhi, April 26, 2013

Let me start this blog with a short introduction of how my new, big adventure started.
Oh, and please do forgive me that my English maybe is kinda off sometimes. It is not exactly my first language, but because I live in India, I think English is the best language to address as much people as I can with this blog. Hopefully I can get more and more attention for the wonderful work Ritinjali is doing so we can help more and more kids and youngsters in building a future for themselves.


On the 26 of January our plane took off, leaving Berlin after five years, heading towards a new life in New Delhi. Little did we know what to expect.

Delhi, a town full of contradictions. All is possible in Delhi but nothing works out as it is supposed to.
I loved Delhi right away. Why? I really don't know. It just felt good instantly.


After some time we kinda settled in. Our stuff from Berlin arrived after only two months and the house we live in became our home. Two of our kids started at an International school and felt good, the other two are still on the waiting list, but we found them a tutor. Our oldest daughter is still in Germany finishing her IB program and keeping in touch trough e-mail and Skype. All fine so far, so daily routines where picked up rather fast.  



In the meantime we where beginning to see more and more of New Delhi and especially more and more of the contradictions. A few times a week I found myself shopping groceries and chicken on INA Market. Not comparable to the supermarkets we where used to, but I got the hang of it very quickly. And although it is not the cleanest and the best smelling place, you'll find about anything you need on INA market. INA has no rules on hygiene, almost no refrigerators (outside temperature around 38 degrees Celsius at the moment and rising), flies all over the place, but it has to be said that you have never tasted a better chicken then those that are sold on this market.


Upon arrival at the market, you are immediately approached by young men or boys. All of them wearing a dark red blouse and a batch. The INA coolies. These young men or boys follow you to the shops and carry your shopping bags around. They get paid by the customers to do so. As I am used to doing things like that myself, I really had to get over my shame to have other people carry my stuff around. But you get used to it.

Seeing al off this time and time again though, being helped often by the same young guy I started wondering what was the story behind these boys. I started to ask questions about the coolies, went searching on the internet, and found out a few things that really got to me. Then I stumbled upon the organisation Ritinjali and I got in contact with mr. Arun Kapur, Dirleen, Ashish and Line. And that is where the real adventure started.

Next time I will fill you in on how it began

www.ritinjali.org

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten